Talpa de Allende, Jalisco
The Virgen de Talpa is a sixteenth-century statue enshrined in the basilica of a mining town founded in 1599. The image, which is sixteen inches high and was originally made of pasta de caña (cornstalk paste), represents the Virgin in her Rosary advocation. Finding herself in a lamentable state of deterioration in September, 1644, the Virgen de Talpa miraculously transformed herself into wood. Votive offerings are now made to this Virgen in a small space provided in a room adjacent to the church. The older retablos are exhibited separately in a nearby museum.