The Virgen de los Remedios venerated today at the basilica just outside of Mexico City is a small wooden statue, about eleven inches tall. It was brought to Mexico in 1519 by Juan Rodríguez de Villafuerte, one of the soldiers with Hernán Cortés in the conquest of Mexico. After the conquerors entered the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlán, Cortés had the audacity to order the destruction of idols in the main temple and to have them replaced by a cross and Rodríguez de Villafuerte’s statue. During retreat from Tenochtitlán on June 30, 1520, Cortés and his surviving soldiers escaped with the help of this miraculous image, which appeared in the sky and threw dirt in the eyes of the attacking Aztecs to blind them. Rodríguez de Villafuerte hid the image under a maguey, and two decades later it was discovered by an Otomí cacique, Juan Tovar. Miracle reports inspired widespread indigenous devotion, but the Virgen de los Remedios kept escaping (a common motif in miraculous-image narratives) to the site where Juan had found it. Local priests understood these escapes to mean that the Virgen de los Remedios had chosen where she wished to be venerated. They built a chapel at the site and it evolved into the current basilica. Votive offerings are displayed in the courtyard.