The Cave of the Apparition at the Señor de Chalma shrine is located on the hill above the pilgrim dormitories. Christian devotion began there with the Señor de Chalma’s apparition in 1539 and continued for well over a century, until the image was transferred to a chapel that gradually developed into the current shrine. The cave was rededicated to St. Michael the Archangel and today his image presides behind a small granite altar. A chapel façade was added to the cave, and inside statues of two ascetic hermits, Bartolomé de Jesús María and Saint Mary of Egypt, flank the altar. The photographs that follow were taken in and around the cave. The last two images are from a smaller cave on the same escarpment, used now primarily for storage.